The national awareness campaign that sees football fields across Australia turned purple for pancreatic cancer, returns bigger and better than ever in 2022, with the #PlayinPurple weekends for local clubs on June 18/19 and 25/26.
#PlayinPurple is now in its 8th year and continues to grow across Australia, being embraced by football players from all codes, ages and geographies, all playing passionately in purple socks on one weekend of the local season to raise critical awareness for pancreatic cancer.
Last year the campaign grew across Australia to a see participation reach a record 13,700 players from almost 100 clubs including an ever-increasing level of participation from NSW clubs, associations and A-League partners embracing the initiative creating wonderful connections between football and the community for a an important cause.
MWFA CEO, David Mason, said, “The MWFA and our clubs are proud to support Purple Sock Day to help raise awareness for pancreatic cancer. Grassroots football plays an important role in our community and we encourage as many teams and clubs as possible to get behind the #PlayinPurple campaign. Our clubs have supported Purple Sock Day for a number of years now and the support continues to grow each year.”
PanKind CEO, Michelle Stewart, is delighted for players of all ages pull on their purple socks to play in purple for pancreatic cancer in 2022 saying “awareness on this scale is exactly what we need to help shine a light on this disease and this campaign is a wonderful opportunity to increase engagement between clubs, players and the community, all participating for a very important cause – pancreatic cancer awareness. We cannot thank clubs, associations and our A-League partners, Sydney FC, Perth Glory and Western Sydney Wanderers enough for their support”.
The #PlayinPurple 2022 campaign will again be supported by Football NSW and A-League Club Sydney FC and Western Sydney Wanderers as well as key associations who will be sharing key campaign messages and encouraging participation.
Key information for the 2022 campaign:
- #PlayinPurple 2022 runs on two weekends of June 18/19 & 25/26 (clubs choose their round to play in purple socks)
- All players, clubs and codes are encouraged to participate Australia wide, with a simple change of your local club socks to purple socks for one weekend in June!
- PanKind purple socks are $15 per pair and the funds raised will go directly toward pancreatic cancer research
- Players can also wear their 2021 purple socks and simply make a donation
- A #PlayinPurple participation pack including a social media guide is provided to each club. Campaign hashtags #playinpurple #pancreaticcancer @PanKindFoundation
- Clubs and associations are able to make a direct donation to PanKind.
- The campaign will launch and online store will open in the first week of April
Follow our social media channels and visit our website to make sure you are
updated with key dates and information:
Please email email@example.com for any enquiries about the 2022 campaign.
PanKind, The Australian Pancreatic Cancer Foundation is exclusively dedicated to pancreatic cancer with a mission to triple the survival rate by 2030 and dramatically increase the quality of life for patients and their families. We aim to achieve this through a strategic focus on raising awareness, collaboration to increase progress and investing in ground-breaking medical research.